Follow Bantu’s Progress
Located in Lewiston, Maine, Bates is internationally recognized as a leading college of the liberal arts, attracting 2,000 students from across the U.S. and around the world. Since 1855, Bates has been dedicated to educating the whole person through cr...
Awards & Recognition
Bantu Mabaso of Mpaka, Swaziland has been awarded a Davis Projects for Peace grant to start a mentorship initiative to combat food shortages, especially during dry seasons, in the rural community o...Spring 2016
Activities & Affiliations
Bantu Mabaso, the daughter of Sanelisiwe G. Diamini of Mpaka, Swaziland, was recently named a student fellow in the Office of Intercultural Education at Bates College, located in Lewiston, Maine. ...Fall 2015
Bantu Mabaso, the daughter of Sanelisiwe G. Diamini of Mpaka, Swaziland, is serving as a Junior Advisor for the 2015-16 academic year at Bates College in Lewiston, Maine. She is a 2013 graduate of ...Fall 2015
Resident Assistant (Junior Advisor)- Serve as a resident peer adviser to a first year center comprised of 13 entering students and advise them on academic and social issues as they make the transition from high school to college. Advising topics include the logistics of course registration, general education requirements/departmental requirements and academic or personal support services like the college writing center, student affairs and the health center.
- Plan and produce extracurricular and educational programming for my first year student center with the intention of guiding them toward groups and organizations on campus that might be of interest to them.
- Mediate disputes between or among roommates and work with the Assistant/Associate Director of Residence Life to resolve protracted disputes or situations.August 2015 - Present
Fellow at Office of Intercultural Education- Promote academic excellence and build community for all students on the Bates College campus with a particular focus on students from underrepresented populations
- Work in collaboration with staff to design and implement workshops and programs in the following areas: the first gen experience, academic success, cultural events, social events, community building, and alumni engagement.August 2015 - Present
Added by Bantu
Inside Africa Fashion and Cultural Showcase
Program Coordinator- Work collaboratively with African fashion designers around the Lewiston-Auburn Area in Maine to plan and implement a showcase of fashion from over 20 countries in the African continent.
- Coordinated the donation of traditional African regalia and artifacts, securing of models and display venues
- Oversaw entertainment acts and music
- Managed event advertisements, invitation mailings and cateringOctober 2014 - Present
Added by Bantu
Carribean Students Associaition and Africana Clubs
Community Liason Officer- Cultivate informed civic action and educate club members about the unique character, assets, and needs of the lewiston community
- Mobilize club members to participate in or host at least one civic effort per semester that ideally utilizes the strengths or interests of the club. Examples of such events are the Inside Africa Fashion Show, The haunted house and carnival for the tree street youth and the Kennedy Park cleanup initiative with the bright future healthier you organization.
- Build community liasing skills through a number of optional trainings and workshops coordinated by the Bates College Harward Center
- Help club members access grant programs, leadership development opportunities, community events, and other benefits relevant to their current work and future careers through the Bates College Harward CenterSeptember 2014 - Present
Added by Bantu