Follow Kelley’s Progress
Georgia State University, an enterprising urban public research university, is a national leader in graduating students from widely diverse backgrounds. The student body of more than 53,000 demonstrates that students from all backgrounds can achieve...
Kelley Thompson of Atlanta graduated from Georgia State University on May 9, 2015 with a Master's Degree in Nursing. Georgia State University graduated more than 5,700 students receiving bachelor'...Spring 2015Verified by Georgia State UniversityExpand ▾
Activities & Affiliations
Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of NursingAdded by Kelley
American Association of Nurse PractitionersAdded by Kelley
Emory University Hospital
Nurse ClinicianNurse Clinician, 5G General Medicine step-down unit
• Unit 5G is a fast-paced 14-bed unit in a 579-bed teaching hospital with Magnet designation that cares for adult patients with a wide variety of acute and chronic illnesses.
• Nurses assume the care of 4-5 patients at a time and are responsible for clinical assessment, coordination of medication administration, therapies and treatments, and working collaboratively with the health care team to provide holistic care.
• Nurses provide patient and family-centered care with ongoing discharge teaching specific to their conditions, including information about prescribed medications, recommended diet restrictions, wound care, follow up appointments, signs and symptoms to report to provider immediately, and disease-related educational materials.
• Served as Representative on the Unit Practice Council (April 2014-December 2014).
• 5G Wound Champion, responsible for attending monthly meetings of the hospital-wide Champions of Skin Integrity council, participating in quarterly NDNQI Pressure Ulcer Prevention Studies, serving as a resource for staff, and completing additional CE courses focusing on various alterations in skin integrity and evidence-based management (July 2014-present).January 2014 - May 2015
Added by Kelley
Piedmont Hospital Inc.
Registered NurseRegistered Nurse, CSU outpatient Interventional Radiology March 2012 - January 2013
• CSU is a 14-bed unit that safely prepares and recovers adult patients undergoing outpatient Interventional Radiology procedures under conscious sedation. Procedures include Transcatheter Arterial Chemoembolization (TACE), Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt (TIPS), Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE), Renal Biopsy, Liver Biopsy, Lung Biopsy, Myelogram, Fistulogram, Arteriogram, G-Tube Placement, IVC Filter Placement, Radiofrequency Ablation, Kyphoplasty, Plasmapheresis, Port or Permcath Placement, and Nephrostomy Tubes.
• Nurses assume the care of up to 5 patients at a time. Duties include preparation of patients for procedures through careful history taking, complete physical exam, inserting IV's, drawing labs, pre-procedure education, and administration of medications and IV fluids. Post-procedure care includes frequent vital sign monitoring, telemetry monitoring, drawing labs, site care, medication administration, pain control methods, and thorough discharge instructions.
• Designated as Charge Nurse, with duties of making patient assignments based on patient acuity and nurse skill set, rounding on patients and staff members, and addressing clinical issues on the unit.
Registered Nurse, 5 North Medical-Surgical unit January 2011 - March 2012
• Unit 5 North is a 24-bed inpatient unit in a 488-bed hospital that cares for adult patients with a broad spectrum of medical diagnoses compounded by acute illness.
• Nurses are responsible for prioritizing and coordinating the direct nursing care of 5 patients concurrently. Nurses must have strong competency in managing high-risk IV therapies, such as heparin and insulin infusions, wound and ostomy care, central line care, and blood product transfusions.
• Served as Representative on the Medical Surgical Practice Council, meeting monthly to discuss practice issues and new protocols, identify areas for improvement, and implement strategies to achieve goals (January 2012-March 2012).
• Participated in the September 2011 Quarterly NDNQI Pressure Ulcer Prevalence Study.
• "Super User" for Quest SCM electronic medical record.
• Mentioned on the Press-Ganey Survey for service excellence.January 2011 - January 2013
Added by Kelley
Baptist Hospitals and Health Systems Inc.
Registered NurseRegistered Nurse, 6B Medical-Surgical unit January 2009 - December 2010
• Unit 6B is a busy Medical-Surgical unit at a 638-bed hospital situated in the heart of downtown Jackson, MS. Patients on this unit are acutely ill adults and have multiple comorbidities.
• Nurses care for a maximum of 6 patients at a time. Nurses must be proficient in assessing for changes in patient condition and working collaboratively with the medical team to provide nursing interventions founded on evidence-based practice.
• Preceptor for the Summer Nurse Externship program (2010) and nurse intern orientation (2009-2010), also serving as a mentor for new-grad RN's.
• Served as Charge Nurse for the majority of shifts worked, reporting to House Supervisor. Managed flow of patient care, assisted staff members as needed, addressed patient and family concerns, and displayed skills in leadership.
• Lead the shared governance 6B Medical Council as Chair.
• Voted Vice-Chair of the Baptist Medical-Surgical Council (2010).
Nurse Tech II, 6B Medical-Surgical unit July 2008 - December 2008
• Shadowed staff nurses and assisted with vital signs, activities of daily living, and Foley catheter insertions.
• Became more knowledgeable regarding the various roles of each staff member.
Nurse Extern, 6B Medical-Surgical unit May 2008 - July 2008
• Under the guidance of a preceptor, acted as a primary care nurse, caring for up to four patients.
• Practiced new skills in the clinical setting and became accustomed to working a twelve-hour shift.
• Learned valuable lessons in time management, prioritization, and adapting to different personalities in the workplace.May 2008 - December 2010
Added by Kelley
RN- Resource PoolAya Healthcare is a medical staffing agency that matches the skills of their nurses with the needs of their clients.
The University of Colorado Hospital is a 593-bed teaching hospital with three consecutive Magnet designations that is recognized as the leader in care in multiple specialties.
Resource Pool nurses care for 2-5 patients at a time, depending on the acuity of the patient assignment. The nurse must possess the skills required for being prepared to work in a variety of inpatient units throughout the hospital, including, but not limited to:
• Women's Care Center (high-risk postpartum)
• The Birth Center
• Internal Medicine
• Medical-Surgical Progressive Care Unit
• Bone Marrow Transplant/Oncology
• Acute Care of the Elderly
• VIP Suites
• Emergency Department
• Medical Intensive Care Unit
• Cardiac Progressive Care Unit
• Surgical Specialties
• Medicine SpecialtiesJune 2015 - Present
Added by Kelley